CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Give Your Advice

I'm working on a part of this business that is very difficult for me - I think it is one of the most difficult parts of any small business - How much am I worth? I have a very unique product that I am selling. As a matter of fact, I don't know of any photographers that sell their services in quite the same way. Therefore, I don't know how to research the market.
I've read "about" a book (that's what people do who don't have time to read actual books in addition to being in school) that talks about being a "purple cow" in your feild. The basic idea is that once you've seen a couple of plain old cows - you've seen them all, right. Ah, but then you come across a purple cow - now that's something to go see about. I'm trying to be that purple cow here! If you don't know what I am talking about - its the idea of selling not just the sitting fee or a certain number of pictures, but the images! That means that I am selling the right to reproduce as many as the client desires! That also means that if they want more, I don't make more money. But come on, in this day and age people scan and reprint whatever they want anyway (you know its true!)
I've been working on a few packages (another difficult task) and I am trying to price them. I actually want to make enough money to make it worth my time and the time it takes away from my family (Photographers are by no means 9-5 hourly paid people). The sitting time (and travel) are just one part of the editing, sorting, planning - basically production of pictures. I am looking at this long term as our families second income.
Of course, I don't want to be so highly priced that people don't even make appointments. That leads me to another issue - how do I make people realize what an awesome deal they are getting!!!!!
So if you have the time, read through a few of my package ideas here. Then tell me what price you'd put or if you'd change anything, etc. I'd be much obliged! You don't have to be a professional to give imput - customer imput is even better!

1 comments:

Mandy said...

I wish I could help...but I have no clue where to begin. This is one of my biggest challenges as well. Aaron tells me that I am worth whatever people are willing to pay- but how do I know what that is? What I plan on doing is like Saturday after the shoot- asking the mom how much she would have been willing to pay for the experience. Then go from there.
Maybe you can ask some of your past clients? Julie, Me, *grin*, Sue, the family (their name escapes me at the moment even though I can see the pics vividly in my head)

I personally for you- would be willing to pay in the $100-$200 range. And not just because you are such a good friend (even though you are) but just because you are that good. :)